Last Updated on June 8, 2022
Nintendo Switch revolutionized the way we played games. It lets you play your favorite games on the go with wireless controls, and you can enjoy gaming on a bigger screen (on your TV or monitor) for maximum fun and gaming action.
However, you may not all of us have a TV or monitor with us; the laptop may be the only big-screen option to play your Nintendo Switch (NS). So, can you connect your laptop to NS and play your favorite games. The simple answer is yes; you can connect and play Nintendo Switch on your laptop, but it is not as simple as playing it on a TV or a monitor. You will need to do some workaround, and then you will be able to play Nintendo Switch on your Laptop.
You can use two ways to turn your laptop into a Nintendo Switch; use a capture card or use your laptop’s HDMI input port. It is rare to find a laptop with an HDMI input port. Only Alienware laptops have an HDMI input port, and these machines are very costly. If you own an Alienware laptop, you don’t need a capture card to connect Switch to your laptop. We will discuss this method later in the article.
Using Capture Card to Play Nintendo Switch on your Laptop
Capture Card is the easiest and most successful method to play Nintendo Switch on your laptop. It requires some additional investment, but it is worth it. You can transfer a mini-screen game to your Laptop and enjoy full-fledged gaming by spending a couple of hundred bucks.
If you share gameplay on various platforms, you would probably know what a capture card is. However, a capture card acts as an HDMI converter for your laptop if you are a first-timer. It receives information from your gaming console and then transfers it to your laptop.
Let’s see how you can use a capture card to connect Nintendo Switch to your Laptop.
For this method, you will need some additional things:
- 1 capture card
- 2 HDMI cables
- A Nintendo dock
You will also need a capture card to make the setup work. We recommend using Elegato’s capture card as it is compatible with a wide range of games, works with PC and MAC, streams, and records in 1080p60. However, it is costly but performs way better than other capture cards.
There are a lot of other brands available that produce great capture cards. You can buy the one you like if you don’t think Elegato is good enough for you. However, you must ensure that the capture card you are buying must have two HDMI ports on either side of the capture card.
Instruction to connect Capture Card to your Laptop and Nintendo Switch
- Once all the components are ready. Your Dock and Laptop are placed within cable length; you can start the pairing process.
- Find the HDMI output port on your Nintendo Switch Dock and connect it with one end of the HDMI cable.
- Take the other end of the cable and connect it to the HDMI input port on your capture card.
- Grab the other HDMI cable and plug one end into the HDMI output port on your capture card. (You will need to keep the capture card’s user manual or brochure with you to identify the connections and ports).
- Connect the free end of this HDMI cable to your laptop. You don’t need a capture card to connect Nintendo Switch to your TV, as almost all TVs have an HDMI input port.
- Once HDMI cables are all connected and set up, pair your Nintendo Switch to its dock.
- So now the game is connected to your capture card, you will need to download software from the manufacturer’s website to run things.
- Download the software and follow the prompts to complete the connection.
- You can now enjoy playing Nintendo Switch on your laptop.
What other high-quality capture cards can I use if I don’t have Elegato?
Playing Nintendo Switch on Laptop using Laptop’s HDMI input port
There are a few laptops that have an HDMI input port. A couple of brands manufacture these super gaming machines, which are very costly. However, they are best for connecting other gaming consoles to your laptop and saving you from spending on capture cards, HDMI cables, streaming sticks, and many other tools.
All you have to do is connect one end of the HDMI port to your gaming console and one end to the HDMI input port on your laptop. The game will be up and running on your laptop in just a couple of minutes.
Are you looking for a high-quality gaming laptop with an HDMI input port? Here is the best option to consider : Alienware m17 R4, 17.3-inch FHD Gaming Laptop with Intel Core i7 10870H, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 6GB GDDR6. The specifications speak volumes about the power and gaming capabilities of this machine.
So you see that pairing your Nintendo Switch with your Laptop is an easy task if you have the required tools. You can also download Nintendo Switch games from the Microsoft App Store and play them on your PC directly.