Last Updated on June 8, 2022
Valheim is an addictive game, but when it gets frustrating when it keeps crashing on startup. Many players have reported that Valheim crashes 3 out of 5 times when they start it. The good news is that some simple setting changes and fixes can solve Valheim crashing problem most of the time.
In this guide, we will discuss various solutions to fix Valheim crashing problem on startup. It is best to make one change at a time and see if the problem has been fixed; only proceed to the next one if the problem persists.
Fix # 1:Restart your PC
The simplest and quickest solution to fix game crashing and freezing problems is to restart your PC. It is extremely effective if the game crashes every time you launch it. Restarting your PC frees a lot of resources that were used in many processes that you weren’t using.
Launch your game after restarting your PC and see if it solves the problem.
Fix # 2:Update your Windows
Check that your Windows are updated and that you are not running an older version of Windows. The reason behind updating Windows is that older game developers update the game and eliminates support for an older version of Windows. Hence it is critical to update both Windows and Valheim to ensure smooth gameplay.
Here’s how you can check for updates on your PC
- Press the Windows key on the keyboard and start typing Windows update.
- Open Windows Update Settings from the list and see if the Windows are up to date or if any update is pending for downloading and installation.
- Restart your system after windows finish updating.
Launch Valheim to see if the problem has been solved. Proceed to the next fix if this didn’t solve the issue.
Fix # 3:Update Game Patch
Steam client ensures that Valheim is automatically updated if you have the option checked. However, there is no harm in trying a manual update and checking a couple of things out if the game is crashing or not responding.
You can check if this is working or not from the settings section of the game on Steam. To check for available downloads, go to the download section of the Steam for Valheim and click download. The latest patch/update of the game will be downloaded and installed in a few minutes.
Once downloaded, close Steam, restart your PC and then launch the game to see if the problem has been fixed.
Fix # 4:Refresh your Graphics Card
It is better to simply refresh your graphic card before looking for drivers. It is an easy process and only takes 5-10 seconds. All you have to do is press the Windows key + Ctrl + Shift + B to refresh your graphic card.
Once you press these buttons, your screen will blink twice, and you will also hear a small beep. This is perfectly normal, and there is nothing to worry about here.
See if this solved the problem.
Fix # 5:Update Graphic Card Drivers
One must ensure that all drivers in your Windows are up to date. Outdated drivers can impact your PC’s performance. Follow the steps below to check if the graphic card drivers are updated or not.
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard and start typing device manager.
- Open Device Manager from the startup menu and look for Display Adapters.
- Click dropdown with Display Adapters; it will display the graphic card installed on your computer.
- Right-click it and select Update driver; select the first option that says, “Search automatically for drivers.” Windows will look for drivers online and install if the driver is outdated.
- Alternatively, you can also select to update drivers manually. However, you will need to download the latest driver first and then guide your PC to its location.
- If you opt for the second option, make sure you download the right driver as your graphic card’s model. Graphics card drivers are usually available online at the manufacturer’s website. You can download Nvidia drivers and AMD drivers from their websites free of cost.
- Once you are done updating drivers, restart your system and launch Valheim to see if the problem has been fixed.
Fix # 6:Run Valheim as an Administrator
Many players have suggested running Valheim as an administrator to solve the crashing problem. Go through the steps below to see if it works.
- Open the Steam client and click Library.
- Look for Valheim in the games list on the left side, right-click to open Manage and select Browse local files from the sub-menu.
- Navigate to the Valheim.exe file in the new window and select Run as Administrator.
- You can select the Run as Administrator option permanently from the game properties if the crashing problem was fixed by running it for one time.
- Right-click the Valheim.exe file and open Properties.
- Click the Compatibility tab and check the option that says, “Run this program as an administrator.”
- Click OK and then click Apply to save your settings.
Fix # 7:Perform a Clean Boot and Disable Unwanted Apps
Valheim is known for crashing due to software and app conflicts. You can uninstall or disable these programs to ensure smooth functionality for your programs. Here’s how you can do these things.
- Press Windows Key + R simultaneously to open the Run box.
- Type “msconfig” and hit enter.
- This will open a new window; select the Services tab and check the box that says, “Hide all Microsoft services.”
- Go through the list of services except those that belong to your Graphic card hardware. Click OK > Apply to save your changes.
- Exit this window and press the Windows key and start typing task manager.
- Select Task Manager from the results and move to the Startup tab.
- Select and disable all the programs you think might cause Valheim to crash at startup. Apps like Cortana and Chrome are high-impact programs; disabling them at startup frees resources for other applications.
- Restart your PC and then launch Valheim to see if the problem has been solved.
Fix # 8:Disable in-game Overlays
In-game overlays allow you to make a purchase using other apps such as Discord. However, many games crash during gameplay because of active overlays. You can try disabling overlays in gaming clients like Steam, Discord, and GeForce Experience. Follow the steps below to disable overlay on Steam.
- Open the Steam client and click Steam in the options.
- Go to settings and select the In-Game tab on the left side.
- There will be three options under The Steam Overlay heading. Uncheck them all and click OK to save changes.
- Reopen Steam and launch Valheim to see if this has solved the problem.
Fix # 9:Set Valheim to High Property
Sometimes setting a game like Valheim to high priority solves the crashing problem. Many players have reported that Valheim’s crashing and in-game lags reduce considerably when they set it to high priority.
Let’s see how you can do it.
- Open Task Manager by typing task manager in the search bar on your desktop.
- Go to the Details tab, look for Valheim.exe, right-click it, open the Set priority sub-menu, and select High.
- Close Task Manager and see if this solves the problem.
Fix # 10:Disable Antivirus and Add exception to Windows Firewall
When you play a game like Valheim, much information and data are exchanged. The antivirus in your PC red flags this data sharing and tries to stop the game; as a result, the game crashes or starts lagging.
Similarly, the Windows Firewall may also prevent the game from launching properly.
You can try to fix Valheim crash problem by disabling the antivirus for some time and then running the game. If the crash problem is solved, add an exception for Valheim in the antivirus.
Similarly, add an exception for Valheim in the Windows Firewall and see if this solves the startup problem.
Fix # 11:Verify Integrity of Game Files
Verifying the integrity of the game files reveals if there is a problem with the game file or if the files have been corrupted. Corrupt files are often the biggest culprit behind your games crashing at launch or during gameplay.
Follow the steps below to verify game files on Steam.
- Open Steam and click Library.
- Look for Valheim and right-click it to select Properties.
- Open the Local Files tab and click Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- This process will take some time, depending on your internet speed and the size of the game.
Fix # 12:Run the Game in Windowed Mode
Running the game in Windowed mode often solves the startup crashing problem for Valheim. This comes in handy for people playing the game on a non-native resolution that your monitor does not support.
- Open your Steam client when the game is not running.
- Open Library and right-click Valheim, and open Properties.
- Go to the General tab.
- Enter “-windowed -noborder” in the Set Launch Options.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Fix # 13:Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime
If the problem has not been fixed after trying all the methods listed above, you can try reinstalling Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime. It fixes multiple gaming issues and crash problems.
Press the Windows key and start typing apps and features.
Open Apps & Features from the list and locate Microsoft Visual C++ programs in the list.
Uninstall each program one by one.
Go to Microsoft’s official site to download the latest version of Microsoft Visual C++.
Install it on your PC and restart it to see if the crashing problem has been fixed.
Fix # 14:Reinstall Steam/Game
If you face the crashing problem on all games you play on Steam, try uninstalling Steam and then reinstalling it. You can uninstall Steam from Control Panel and then reinstall it to see if the problem has been fixed.
If the problem is limited to only one game and continues after trying all the fixes listed above, it is time to take the hard route out. You’ll have to uninstall the game and reinstall it to ensure that all the corrupted files are gone from your PC. This may take a lot of time, but it is worth trying before updating your system configuration.
Fix # 15:Update your PC/Contact Steam
If you are using an underpowered PC, you need to update it to solve the problem. There is no second way around after trying all the fixes discussed above.
On the contrary, if you are playing Steam on a system that is at par with the recommended (not required or minimum) configuration and the problem doesn’t go away after trying the fixes listed above, you need to contact the Valheim support team to find a fix to your problem.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Does Valheim crash at startup?
There can be several reasons behind Valheim crashing on startup. A few of them are mentioned below.
- Your computer’s hardware is below the minimum requirements of the game
- Corrupted or missing game files
- Game or Windows not up to date
- The Graphics card driver is outdated
- Too much load on your PC
- Third-party app interference
- Windows firewall/antivirus not allowing the game to run freely
How can I fix if Valheim won’t launch at startup?
You can do this by restarting the game or the game launcher, launching the game in windowed mode, verifying the integrity of game files, and updating Windows and your game. We have listed all the possible fixes to solve Valheim’s crashing on startup problem.
Why does Valheim keep crashing while playing on Steam?
If Valheim keeps crashing on Steam, it can be due to the following reasons.
- Corrupted game files
- Steam Client problems
- Outdated graphic card drives
- Active overlays
- Third-party app interference
Does changing the default setting force the game to crash on startup?
This is not necessary, but you can’t overrule the possibility. If the crash started after you changed the settings, turn to default settings and see if the crashing problem has been solved.
Does DirectX cause Valheim to crash?
Yes. If DirectX is corrupted, it will cause Valheim to crash. You will need to update DirectX to the latest version to ensure that all your games launch smoothly. Moreover, you can also uninstall DirectX from your computer and then reinstall the latest version. You can download DirectX from Microsoft’s official website.
How can I disable overclocking or turbo-boosting tools?
If you are using third-party applications like MSI Afterburner to overclock your GPU, the chances are that it is causing a game crash at startup. All such applications are usually disabled after you perform a clean boot, but you may need to disable some of them from BIOS.
Does removing temporary files help improve Valheim’s gameplay?
Yes. Temporary files overburden your PC and slow it down. It is a great idea to remove all the temporary files from your PC if your games are crashing.
Remove temporary files from your PC with the help of following steps.
- Press Windows key + R to open the Run Window.
- Type “%temp%” and hit enter.
- Select all the files and delete them by pressing Shift + Del.
- You may notice some remaining files after deleting them. Leave these files, restart your system and launch Valheim to see if this has made any change.
How can I run Valheim on a dedicated graphics card?
Open Setting by typing settings in the start menu. Click System and look for the Graphic Setting tab. Click browse and add Valheim.exe to the file list. Right-click the recently added folder and set it to High Performance. Launch the game to see if this has made any difference.
We have listed all the possible fixes and solutions that you can use to deal with the Valheim crash problem at startup. These fixes will also improve the gameplay. If the problem persists after trying all the fixes discussed here, the only option left is to contact the Valheim support team.